Baking tomato cups filled with eggs, cheese, and spices is a simple yet delicious way to create a nutritious and flavorful breakfast or brunch. The combination of the juicy and sweet tomato, the creamy cheese, and the savory spices is a perfect way to start your day. In this article, we will explore the step-by-step process of making this dish.
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (cheddar or mozzarella)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- Fresh parsley or basil (optional, for garnish)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cut off the top of each tomato and use a spoon to scoop out the insides, leaving a hollow shell. Save the tomato pulp for other recipes, such as tomato sauce or soup.
- In a small bowl, beat the eggs, salt, black pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano until well combined.
- Place the tomato cups in a baking dish and divide the grated cheese evenly among them.
- Pour the egg mixture into the tomato cups, filling them about three-quarters of the way full.
- Bake the tomato cups in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Remove the tomato cups from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh parsley or basil, if desired.
- Choose firm, ripe tomatoes that are not too soft or mushy. They should hold their shape well when baked.
- If the tomato cups are unstable, you can slice a small piece off the bottom to make them more stable.
- Feel free to experiment with different types of cheese and spices to suit your taste preferences. Some great options include feta cheese, smoked paprika, or fresh thyme.
- You can also add other ingredients to the egg mixture, such as chopped cooked bacon, diced onion, or sliced mushrooms.
- Serve the tomato cups with toast or crusty bread for a complete meal.
Tomatoes are an excellent source of vitamins A and C, as well as potassium and fiber. They are also low in calories and fat, making them a healthy addition to any meal. Eggs are a great source of protein and essential amino acids, which are important for muscle growth and repair. Cheese provides calcium and vitamin D, which are essential for strong bones and teeth.
Baking tomato cups filled with eggs, cheese, and spices is a quick and easy way to create a tasty and healthy breakfast or brunch. With just a few simple ingredients and some basic cooking skills, you can create a dish that is sure to impress your family and friends. So next time you are looking for a new breakfast idea, try making these delicious tomato cups!
In this video I am using the Tovala Toaster Oven to bake the dish – I love it
Link here – https://my.tovala.com/referral/4FBXE5JG